[Zope-dev] ANNOUNCE: PartitionedFileStorage

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 16:48:39 -0500

For all who are interested in breaking database size barriers without
moving to Oracle or Berkeley Storage, here's something to try out.

http://www.zope.org/Members/hathawsh/PartitionedFileStorage

I *highly* recommend you back up Data.fs before installing.

What is known to work:
  - Reads and writes of logical files greater than 3 GB on versions of
Linux that support only 2 GB files.
  - Undo and packing.
  - Fast random reads and writes.
  - Using simple binary concatenation to move back to a standard single
file.
  - Using PartitionedFile completely independent of Zope or ZODB.

What has not been tested, but will very likely work:
  - Tranalyzer.
  - Putting the partitions on different physical devices.  (Poor man's
RAID :-) )

What couldn't be tested by my limited resources:
  - Platforms other than Linux.
  - Running this on a busy Zope site.  (No, www.zope.org is not running
PartitionedFileStorage. :-) )

BTW to all in the U.S., Happy Thanksgiving!

Shane