[Zope-dev] Mail and zope

Matt Hamilton matth@netsight.co.uk
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:13:50 +0000 (GMT)

> originated from but most e-mail clients discard custom headers but preserve
> a 'In-Reply-To' header with the original message-id.

Don't count on it! :)  I spent quite some time working on a full-text
mailing list search/archive system and one of the things I wanted to do
was preserve thread informtion.  However it was surprising the number of
MUAs that did not generate a In-Reply-To header.  Mostly it was Microsoft
Mail Client and quite a few similar internal mail systems with internet
gateways.  Also beware that many mailers use the NNTP standard of
line instead and generate some sort of ticket number and store it in the
subject line, and put a header in the message body instructing the user to
not alter the subject.

-Matt

--
Matt Hamilton                                            matth@netsight.co.uk
Netsight Internet Solutions, Ltd.             Business Vision on the Internet