[Zope-dev] CVS down?

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:14:10 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Robin Becker wrote:

> C:\Python\devel\Zope>cvs -z9 upd -A -P -d
> CVS.EXE [update aborted]: connect to zope.org:2401 failed: Connection
> refused
>

> Am I pointing at the wrong server or something?

Hmm.  It looks like your repository is wired to 'zope.org' rather than
'cvs.zope.org'.  I believe that 'zope.org' was recently changed to point
to www.zope.org, rather than classic (which is 'cvs').  There are a few
of things you can do to work around this:

 - Redo the checkout(s) - this would be the least work, but only if you
   have no local edits to preserve!  (Instructions at
   http://www.zope.org/Resources/CVS_info .)

 - Do some surgery on the cvs bookkeeping files.  In every directory of
   the checkout there's a CVS directory with a file named 'Root', in
   which you would have to change '@zope.org' to '@cvs.zope.org'.  Nice
   thing is that every instance of the file for the same checkout will
   have the same contents, so you only need to edit one, then copy to all
   the rest.  Not so nice thing is that there are lots of them - you'll
   want to automate it.  (If you're a python hacker comfortable with os,
   that shouldn't be too bad.  I'd also suggest shell scripts to do it,
   but it looks like you're on windows - i wouldn't suggest dos batch
   files, but then i'm much more comfortable w/python and shell
   scripts, maybe there's a convenient way with dos batch commands...)

 - Get us to change back 'zope.org'.  Like i said, i'm not sure whether
   there's a compelling reason for the change, so i don't know whether
   or not it's even feaasible.

I'm sorry if early versions of the CVS instructions directed you to use
'zope.org' as the cvs server!  I'm not sure they did, but i wouldn't be
surprised, sigh.-(

I hope this helps.  Let me know what avenue you take, and how it goes...

Ken
klm@digicool.com