[Zope-dev] RFC: Python/Zope Interfaces: ZCatalog

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:04:21 -0800

Chris Withers wrote:

> Ken Manheimer wrote:
> >
> > I'm not expert on eiffel or even interfaces, but my understanding having
> > interface "specification very near to the implementation" is misleading,
> > at best.  The key thing is that there may be many implementations, all of
> > which should be written to the same implementation - so you do not want
>
> Should that be 'same interface'?
>
> > the interface specification tied to any one of them.
>
> This is a very good point!
>
> I'd be really interested in making something that supported the Catalog
> 'interface' but actually used the new MySQL full-text searching stuff to
> do the indexing/searching.
>
> However, until Catalog has a defined _interface_, I'm not even going to
> think about starting :-S
>
> Anyone know when that's likely to happen?

A couple of years ago. (hehe - sorry, had to).  The Z Search Interface
is well defined (not well documented) and the Catalog is not the only
object that implements it, so do ZSQL Methods and Z Network Adapters
(which you've probably never heard of, they're buried in the CVS
somewhere...).  The 'Z Search Inteface' object is one tool in particular
that uses it, perhaps you can in imply the interface from that since it
is not documented.

-Michel