[Zope-dev] Zope Suitability for Computer Lab Project

John Hopkins john_hopkins@bigfoot.com
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 22:04:06 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0054_01C02CBC.AEC08420

Greetings from a "potential newbie".

I need to build an application for recording clients who use a computer =
lab.  The idea is to collect demographic information on clients who use =
the lab, and session information such as date/time and whether the =
client attended a class.  Objects include clients, sessions and classes =
(or I think they do; I'm more used to thinking in relational terms.  I =
was going to build it in MS-Access, since it's available on all the PC's =
in the lab, can do everything I need (including reporting), and I know =
it well; on the other hand, there are undeniable advantages to having =
something server-based with minimal client dependencies.

I'm pretty sure it would take me more time to build it in Zope than in =
Access, mainly because I don't know Zope yet.  What I don't know is =
whether this is an appropriate application for Zope; it's not really =
what I think of as "publishing"; more like data acquisition and =
subsequent reporting.

Observations based on experience will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

John Hopkins
john_hopkins@bigfoot.com

------=_NextPart_000_0054_01C02CBC.AEC08420

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Greetings from a "potential =
newbie".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I need to build an application for =
recording=20
clients who use a computer lab.&nbsp; The idea is to collect demographic =

information on clients who use the lab, and session information such as=20
date/time and whether the client attended a class.&nbsp; Objects include =

clients, sessions and classes (or I think they do; I'm more used to =
thinking in=20
relational terms.&nbsp; I was going to build it in MS-Access, since it's =

available on all the PC's in the lab, can do everything I need =
(including=20
reporting), and I know it well; on the other hand, there are undeniable=20
advantages to having something server-based with minimal client=20
dependencies.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm pretty sure it would take me more =
time to build=20
it in Zope than in Access, mainly because I don't know Zope yet.&nbsp; =
What I=20
don't know is whether this is an appropriate application for Zope; it's =
not=20
really what I think of as "publishing"; more like data acquisition and=20
subsequent reporting.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Observations based on experience will =
be gratefully=20
received.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>John Hopkins<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:john_hopkins@bigfoot.com">john_hopkins@bigfoot.com</A></FO=