[Zope-dev] Unit testing, ZUnit

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 21:39:01 -0400

I would be very interested in such a beast.  It's way too hard to do unit
testing in Zope right now.  I'm not sure about how it should be designed,
but that's what the fishbowl is for.  :-)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lalo Martins" <lalo@hackandroll.org>
To: <zope-dev@zope.org>
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2000 8:56 PM
Subject: [Zope-dev] Unit testing, ZUnit

We (I and Hiperlógica) started to develop a Product we called
ZUnit, intended for XP-style unit-testing Python-based
Products in a full Zope environment (with a real ZODB, REQUEST,
RESPONSE, etc).

We first conceived it as a kind of Zope-based version of
unittestgui.py - you create a "TestRunner" object giving it the
package, module and name of a TestSuite object generator (see
the PyUnit documentation) and inside it you may click on some
widget to run the tests and produce a "TestResult" object which
you can inspect later. Does this sound like a good design?

Then I figured in the long run a Product isn't the best
sollution; instead, fiddling with App/Product* sounds more like
it, to allow developers to register tests just like they
register classes, ZClass superclasses, _misc and help. Of
course, just like the current registerHelp and others, it
wouldn't be mandatory and not using it wouldn't break anything.

Then, in the Product's page in the Control Panel, there would
be a tab "Test", where you'd be allowed to run the unit tests.

What do people think of this? What does DC think of this? Can I
go ahead and develop it in this direction?

(I will create a proposal in dev.zope.org, but I want to get
some feedback here first to flesh out the proposal a little
more.)

[]s,
                                               +----
--
          Hack and Roll  ( http://www.hackandroll.org )
            News for, uh, whatever it is that we are.

http://zope.gf.com.br/lalo           mailto:lalo@hackandroll.org
         pgp key: http://zope.gf.com.br/lalo/pessoal/pgp

Brazil of Darkness (RPG)    ---     http://zope.gf.com.br/BroDar