[Zope-dev] ODBC Error

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu@hotmail.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 06:56:33 PDT

>From: Rik Hoekstra <rik.hoekstra@inghist.nl>
>
>There _was_ a patch available (can't find it now, search the maillist
>archives)

Read my postings around April. I include two of my messages.

The patch was submitted in March. I believe it even went into the Collector.
But Digicool people simply refused to update the ZODBC database adapter,
citing they are too busy and that for patches they need to make things
really sure. Fine, in between March and September (6 months, that is), they
have not been able to include the patch in the release. Meanwhile, many
people have downloaded and used ZODBC. I don't understand. Is it so hard to
include the patch? 6 months is more than enough time to determine that this
patch does not cause viruses or major catastrophes. If there have been
disasters using this patch, people would have yelled loud and clear.

I have submitted bug a report to Java's Bug Parade before, and they got back
to me about 6 months later, long after my project was killed. :) Now this
bug is taking about the same time. :) I am impressed.

What's the fun of making _every_ newbie going through the same ritual of
posting to the newsgroups and get the problem fixed only 3 days later? Is it
fun to waste so many people's time???

(OK, sarcasm aside, isn't time to do something about it?) :)

It _is_ a carcass piece of software until someone resuscitate it.

Hung Jung

Message: Re: [Zope] Z ODBC Error Value: unpack sequence of wrong size
Author: "Hung Jung Lu"
Date: 04/06 04:01 AM

--- In zope@egroups.com, "Hung Jung Lu" <hungjunglu@h...>  wrote:
>  --- In zope@egroups.com, Graham Chiu <anon_emouse@h...>  wrote:
> >Ioan Coman <ioan@usa.net> writes
> > >I'm using Zope 2.1.5 (binary release, python 1.5.2, win32-x86)
> > > Zope Error
> > > Error Type: ValueError
> > > Error Value: unpack sequence of wrong size

OK, I search a bit more on e-groups, and found out a patch
to fix this problem. Please visit:

http://www.zope.org/Members/Duncan/zodbcda_patch

The ZODBC adapter actually works fine. It's just that the Test
tab does not work.

Hung Jung

Message: Re: [Zope] Why so many problems with database adapters?