[Zope-dev] Misc. comments on the Zope book

Ross Boylan RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 21:45:32 -0700

I have a feeling that covering programming/scripting in any
satisfactory way is another book-length volume; it might be better to
omit it.

However, the book on programming is the one I'd like to see!  At the
moment, programming Zope seems like voodoo.

Should this book cover installation issues?

Since you bring up CSS, it would be good to discuss how to detect
browser type and adjust accordingly.  I routinely see even relatively
recent versions of Netscape get disoriented by style sheets.

Some discussion of the issues in getting the right kind of URL to hand
to the client would also be good.  In particular, suppose you have
nested folders A:B:C:D:E where E is the innermost folder.  A defines a
cascading style sheet and D redefines it.  The naive implementation
looks to the browser as if each folder has its own CSS, forcing it to
be refetched for each one.  But if you're clever, you reference a URL
which is either A/myCSS or A/B/C/D/myCSS.

Since this is a beginner book, more discussion of interacting with
Zope, and its interaction with other tools, would be good.  What about
Apache? Dreamweaver?  Emacs with ftp? etc.

Good luck!