[Zope-dev] I feel your Wiki Pain ;-)

Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:37:04 +0100

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:40:09 -0400 (EDT), Ken Manheimer
<klm@digicool.com> wrote:

>Do you feel that weblogs are bad models for debates?

I find the wiki and weblog tools available today to be inferior to
mailman for debates, and it will take alot of work to develop WikiNG
into a serious contender. I suspect the sticky points will be:

1. The ability to read without continuous network connection.

2. A user interface that is not encumbered with transatlantic
   http round-trips for each user interaction.

>I think they're [weblogs]
>pretty good least-common-denominators.

>i see them [weblogs and wikis] as better than just
>email...

(Ive snipped those two comments out of context, and I hope it doesnt
misrepresent Ken)

I agree email alone is inadequate.... Please dont misunderstand me: I
am *not* advocating that.

Wikis work well for consolidating documents once a rough concensus has
been reached. My preference is that the discussion leading up to that
concensus takes place on zope-dev.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com