[Zope-dev] Shared Libraries and Persistent Objects

Monty Taylor mtaylor@goldridge.net
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:20:58 +0200

Hey guys,

I've got a question about how Zope deals with shared libraries. Say
I have a 2Meg shared library that I've generated with SWIG. (I know it's
big, but for sake of argument) Say then that I create a Python Class
that imports this library and provides a front-end for each of its
exported methods. Then, I instantiate this class 2000 times within a
Zope instance. My question is, the library code is loaded into memory
once, right? That seems to be what should happen, but I want to make
sure before I start selling people here on SWIGing a few utilities and
bundling them into one of our Zope objects instead of doing fork/execs
to call an executable. I'm not shifting the burden from loading time to
storage size, am I?

Thanks,
Monty