[Zope-dev] Zope Error message

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:50:00 +0100

Andy McKay wrote:

> So now I need to change it so most normal errors (such as 404) are handled
> by standard_error_message.

I'm pretty sure 404s are handled by standard_error_message already.
Authentication Errors aren't! :-(

> So I went to HTTPResponse.py and found this:
>
>     def _error_html(self,title,body):
>         # XXX could this try to use standard_error_message somehow?
>
> I gather someone smarter than me has tried this before. Before waste a day
> going down this path, does anyone have any advice?

There should be a collector issue on this somewhere. Apparently it is
possible for _all_ errors to be handled by standard_error_message.
Sadly, some are still hardcoded to use the internal one, Authentication
being a good example.

Some coding needs to be done by someone who understands the intricacies.
I wonder if there are any plans at DC or if this one has been shelved?

cheers,

Chris

PS: This would be very nice for the PTK: Give people a nice screen
saying 'we can mail your password to you' if they get it wrong, rather
than barfing the standard "Zope Error" message...