[Zope-dev] **Important Notice** for Zope public CVS users

Brian Lloyd brian@digicool.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:46:42 -0400

Hello all -

[I'm intentionally cross-posting this because there are a number
 of folks using CVS that may read only one or the other]

If you've looked at the dev.zope.org site lately, you have
probably noticed a preliminary Zope 2.4 plan:

http://dev.zope.org/Resources/zope_240_plan.html

The major goal of Zope 2.4 will be to make Python 2.1 the
officially supported (and required) Zope platform. A
project dedicated to assessing what that involves has
been started at:

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/SupportPython21/FrontPage

Enough progress has been made on identifying tasks that we
want to start getting some things done. However, this will
have an effect on those of you that are currently running
from the Zope CVS.

We are soon going to begin checking in changes to the head of
the Zope CVS that will require the use of Python 2.1. Once we
start on the 2.4 tasks, you will not be able to use a public
CVS checkout of Zope with older Pythons.

We are not going to start this until after Python 2.1 final
is out (expected next monday), but wanted to give CVS'ers
fair warning. If you are using the current public CVS and
don't want to start using Python 2.1, you should either
avoid doing any CVS updates until you're ready to migrate
or move off of CVS to a current (2.3.1) release.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909