[Zope-dev] Zope cut & paste behaviour

Ivo van der Wijk ivo@amaze.nl
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 16:37:26 +0200

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 09:07:52AM -0400, Brian Lloyd wrote:
> > For one, it doesn't seem possible to move an object more up to the root
> > (or anywhere not *below* the folder the object was cut/copied from). This
> > is partially due to the fact that the __cp (clipboard) cookie has
> > it's path
> > set to it's originating folder. I.e move /foo/bar/a to /foo/a or
> > to /blah/a
> >
> > Clipboards seem to be local to the folder. This may be related to
> > the nature
> > of cookies (with their path set to that the path of that folder),
> > I'm not sure.
> > If you cut 'a' in /foo/bar, then cut 'b' from / and try to paste 'b' in
> > /foo/bar, you'll end up with '/foo/bar/a' again. And as it is not
> > possible
> > to clear your clipboard (esp which opera, which cannot clear
> > cookies), it's
> > very difficult to move objects in these circumstances.
> >
> > Is there any clear reason zope behaves this way? Are there any problems to
> > be expected if the path of the __cp cookie is set to /, so your clipboard
> > is visible everywhere? Could ZCatalog aware objects cause problems?
> >

> Hmm - we can't just set it to '/', because some people have
> multiple Zope instances mapped to a domain (ex: my.com/foo/
> and my.com/bar/ are aliased to two different Zope instances).
>
> I think what we need to do is figure out the "virtual" root
> url and set the cookie with that path.

This sounds difficult. Wouldn't it be easier to use some sort of unique
zope instance id (if none exists: something like the hostname + port
the zope is running on) and use this in the clipboards cookie name?

	Ivo

--
Drs. I.R. van der Wijk                              -=-
Brouwersgracht 132                      Amaze Internet Services V.O.F.