[Zope-dev] ZSQL and Normalized databases (or why ZSQL sucks)

The Doctor What docwhat@gerf.org
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:30:40 -0500

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

* Paul Browning (paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk) [010419 13:53]:
> I wouldn't dream of posting to zope-dev myself until
> I'd read around a bit. And I've been reading around
> for more than a year and I still haven't posted ...

10 months, thought it was enough.  Two and half on this problem
alone.  Thanks for the links below...

> > I still would love some examples.  Do people end up with 4 ZSQL
> > objects per thing they manipulate in their database?:
> > UPDATE, SELECT, INSERT and DELETE?  Or do they mix them somehow?
>=20
> .... check out the following:
>=20
> http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/ZB/RelationalDatabases.dtml

Read it.  Shows one insert, not very interesting.

> and
> http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Guides/ZSQL

Out of date, same thing.  The Zope Book is more up to date, but has
the same example.

>=20
> (the latter is now deprecated but you will find
> http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Guides/ZSQL-HTML/ZSQL.1.4.4.html
> useful in the present context - look for sql_delimiter)

I was looking for more concrete examples of a real setup.  You want
to be able to do deletes, inserts, and updates across a real
normalized (3rd or 4th normal form) database.

Ciao!

--=20
Line Printer paper is strongest at the perforations.

The Doctor What: Guru to the Gods                http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                                                   KF6VNC

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf--