[Zope-dev] ZSQL and Normalized databases (or why ZSQL sucks)

The Doctor What docwhat@gerf.org
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:21:06 -0500

--YD3LsXFS42OYHhNZ

* Casey Duncan (cduncan@kaivo.com) [010419 17:45]:
> Reason: foo=3D0 is actually foo=3D'0'. foo:int=3D0 should work like you w=
ant.

Same behaviour.  I opened a bug in the collector a while ago about
this:
http://classic.zope.org:8080/Collector/2053/view

A related bug:
http://classic.zope.org:8080/Collector/2045/view

> This is a function of your field naming convention more than anything.
> Granted you don't always have control over that. I am surprised that
> name=3D"spam.eggs" doesn't work on sqltests (it works everywhere else).
> Are you explicitly saying name=3D"..."? that could be the problem, bare
> quoting assumes expr=3D"..." where periods are significant.

It works with sqltest, actually.  But since a lot of people have
examples of chaining the namespaces, this breaks that and adds more
work since you can't alias (via AS) to dotted names.

> > Can I use them from a python script?  If not, what's the point?  I
> > mean: External methods are nice to have when you have *no other
> > choice*, but they aren't something I'd want to debug and deal with
> > for object.
>=20
> Python scripts are quite helpful for calling ZSQL methods. Just remember
> to pass REQUEST or the arguments explicitly.

Yeah, I like that, but it's still not perfect, and the docs are
incomplete and scattered.  We need a system to pull together like
documents at zope.org

Ciao!

--=20
Line Printer paper is strongest at the perforations.

The Doctor What: Not that 'who' guy              http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                                                   KF6VNC

--YD3LsXFS42OYHhNZ

--YD3LsXFS42OYHhNZ--