[Zope-dev] Copy, Cut and Cookies: a CopySupport.py question

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 06 Aug 2001 11:29:28 -0400

Jeff Sasmor wrote:
> To someone with perhaps more ZZen than
> myself ....
>
> I am trying to understand CopySupport.py -
>
> It seems that objects that are cut or copied are
> stored in a cookie on the client.

Not the objects, but the path to the objects are stored in a cookie.  To
be more precise, Zope takes the list of object paths the user has chosen
and compresses and encodes in in ASCII.

> I could see how this would be easier than trying
> to associate some stored data item on the server
> with a particular client browser, but it also seems
> somewhat  inefficient (esp. as regards upload and
> download times from the client)
> unless the object is relatively small in size
> and I also wonder if this scheme would break
> down completely for a big object, say
> something a few MB in size.

The cookie is between about 100 bytes and 4K (if you select a lot of
objects).

Shane