[Zope-dev] Java Python Extension and Zope

Tim Hoffman timhoffman@cams.wa.gov.au
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 20:37:43 +0800

Hi

I have just started experimenting with the JPE (Java Python Extension -
http://www.python9.org/p9-cdrom/10/index.htm &
http://www.arakne.com/jpe.htm ) as presented at Python9.

I can successfully access java classes/methods through external python
methods called from dtml (products come next ;-).  (only just got it to
build and run, with only the most simple of tests, now I need to get my
head around the issues of returned data types, and what it will mean to
persistance ;-)

I think this technology holds all sort's of interesting possibilities
to extend Zope so that it could make native rmi calls to java services,
maybe you could use JSP's as backend components (a bit like the PHP
adaptor, mind you one might ask why ;-). If nothing else
it can go some way to alleviating some of the regular objections I have
encountered promoting zope, that talking to java services through
mechanisms other than xml-rpc isn't really feasible. (one thing that
interests me is taking some standard java implementations of services
and bolting them on to zope ie JXTA (mind you there may well already
be a python implementation in the works ;-)

Is anyone else exploring this stuff?

If so drop me a line.

If any one else is interested I'll put up a wiki page to start
a discussion going (benefit's, technical issues etc...)

Rgds

Tim
--
Tim Hoffman