[Zope-dev] DCOracle2-Beta5 with Oracle8i

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Thu, 09 Aug 2001 16:22:04 -0400

Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:

>Note(s) to Matt:
>================
>1) What version of the Oracle Client are you using to build DCO2?

For NT, I'm fairly sure its 8.1.7 (I run NT out of VMWare so its not
convenient to fire it up and check)
The Solaris link is against 8.1.6 I think, and the Linux link is against
either 8.1.5 or 8.1.7.

>2) I have Zope 2.4.0 and separately I have ActiveState python 2.1.1. The
>install.py file looks at the Active State python rather that the on supplied
>for Zope, and thus fails for my python, even though the modules should be
>binary compatible for both 2.1 and 2.1.1. I also suggest changing the check
>to include "2.1.1" for now.

Noted.  Anything I can do to try to prevent a profusion of permutations
though, I'll do.

>3) I also suggest clarifying the installation document to add a manual
>installation section and here say something like "if you want to make a
>manual installation, copy the appropiate module for your platform from the
>'binaries' subdirectory to the 'DCOracle2' subdirectory (i.e. side by side
>with the 'DCOracle2.py' file) and rename it  to 'dco2.pyd'"

Yeah, the install.py file was a last-minute thing with Beta 5, where I
simply got appalled at making 6 different binary release

>4) What are you using on windows to compile the module? from the projects
>files I guess "Visual C-something" from Microsoft. Can I use other compilers
>(cygwin, the free borland stuff, etc)? if visual-c something, what version?

I'm using VC++ 6.0,   but the code should be compilable with any
compiler -- there's a few #ifdef win32 or similar bits but they work
around things in libc that win32 doesn't have compatibility wrappers for.

I know my gettimeofday() replacement is lame -- I had a better
replacement for win32 which had microsecond (rather than second)
granuarity but since it's only used for the trace table I dont get
worried about losing where I put it.