[Zope-dev] ftp problems

Terry Kerr terry@adroit.net
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:23:32 +1000

Hi,

I have seen many related posts on ftp problems before, but none seem to
be specific to my problem.  It has really got be stumped!

I am FTPing from my box on a local network, though a
gateway/firewall/masquerading box to the internet, through to a server
running zope with ftp on port 21.  The server is running a ipfilter
firewall, letting all connections out, but only port 80,21,20,443 in.
The gateway box is linux running an ipchains firewall which lets every
connectin out, and it has the ftp masquerading kernel module loaded.

The problem I have is that my ftp client (linux client, running in
passive mode), will connect and authenticate to the zope ftp server, but
I can't do anything else.  If I turn the firewall off on our remote
server, then ftp works fine.  However, if I turn the firewall back on,
but ftp from our gateway rather than my box behind the gateway, then ftp
also works fine.  Also, if I turn off the zope server, and run a
standard ftpd daemon on port 21 on our remote server, I can ftp to it
fine with the firewall turned on.

So the problem is specific to zope+firewall+masquerading.  Remove either
one of those and it works.

It makes be think that the ftp server in zope doesn't work in passive
mode as it should?

Any ideas?

--
Terry Kerr (terry@adroit.net)