[Zope-dev] Signal 11 restarts

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:12:43 -0400

Hey Steve...

This is a tricky one to pin down;  what I normally do is change the
startup of Zope so that it can be debugged under gdb, e.g.

$ gdb python
gdb> run z2.py -Z '' -t 1

but that only runs one thread, so you may NEVER encounter the problem.
 You can experiment with running more than one thread under gdb.  When
gdb halts next, there's your segfault!  If "where" shows a recursion
depth of greater than 300 or so, there's an infinate loop.

Alternately, you can run into problems if you try to run against a
Python with a different storage allocator (and potentially even garbage
collection, although I *think* gc is safe) since ExtensionClass is not
aware of the changes to object construction/destruction that need to
take place.

Some people have reported (and I don't know if they've been fixed) that
some of the C routines use "PyMem_Del*" methods to delete objects, when
they should use "PyObject_Delete" to release storage.  This mismatch
causes grief when additional pointer manipulation is happening by the
storage allocator and/or garbage collection.