[Zope-dev] Roll Your Own vs GUF vs exUserFolder - Why is one better than the other

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario@ita.chalmers.se
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:45:20 +0200

Hello!

I would like to hear from people using GUF and/or exUserFolder and what they
think of them, especially why they prefer on over the other, or opinions on
why one is better than the other.

I've been trying to understand how both products work and AFAICT the main
difference is that exUserFolder provides user properties while GUF does not.
GUF seems to be better at handling roles thn exUserFolder (in terms of being
able to extract them from the database).

Any comments insight, corrections of misconceptions are welcome. I need to
have a working solution to our problem RSN and I want to use as much of Zope
as possible. It won't be possible to solely rely on the zope sec mechanisms
but if i can delegate to zope as much as possible it would be a big gain.

The last and least desireable option would be to simply ignore the zope sec
mechanisms and roll our own sec management.

Thank you,

/dario

Dario Lopez-Kästen     Systems Developer  Chalmers Univ. of Technology
dario@ita.chalmers.se  ICQ will yield no hits    IT Systems & Services