[Zope-dev] Request For Comments: SecurityJihad

Michael R. Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
20 Aug 2001 16:03:03 -0700

On 17 Aug 2001 19:34:24 +0200, Dieter Maurer wrote:

>   *  when an object did not have a docstring, ZPublisher
>      would not publish it, independent of any other
>      security assertion (that's the way, I always saw the rule).
>
>      Thus, if someone wanted an object to be usable from
>      DTML (or other TTW contexts), but did not want it
>      to be published via the Web, he could do so by
>      not providing a docstring.
>
>      Your proposal may want to provide another,
>      clearer and more explicite method for the
>      (understandable) wish.

Dieter,

I've been thinking about this point that you've raised and eventually
realized that it paralleled the concerns that led to the creation of
access method permissions such as 'FTP Access' and 'WebDAV Access'.

The apropriate solution therefore seems to be to create 'Publication
Access' and 'Traversal Access' permissions for ZPublisher to use, but
that would be outside the scope of my proposal as well.

I've updated the proposal with this new risk, and to narrow the scope.

Thanks,

Michael Bernstein.

P.S. For those of you who are coming to this thread late, here is the
link to the proposal:
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/SecurityJihad/