[Zope-dev] delegable user folder

Kevin Dangoor kdangoor@webelite.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:31:58 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Penny" <jpenny@universal-fasteners.com>
To: <zope-dev@zope.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 6:55 PM
Subject: [Zope-dev] delegable user folder

> I am starting to be in desperate need of a delegable user folder.
>
> By this, I mean that I want a user folder that allows the superuser
> to delegate account creation, revocation, and passwording to another
> less powerful administrator.  This less powerful administrator would
> belong to a set of "associations".  The individuals that he granted
> authority to would have no more associations than the granting
> administrator.  (He might grant a proper subset of his associations,
> though).

> Finally, given that I have to do this, do you have any advice on
> how to start.  ZPatterns/loginmanager, extUserFolder, some other
> UserFolder, or "just start hacking"?

You may want to start with the Zope Membership Component. It uses
LoginManager as the underlying user folder and provides a bunch of methods
that get you started with managing uses. The PythonScripts are a bit out of
date, and you'll have to make some changes there. If you go the ZMC route,
you'll be able to do everything through the web.

You can probably build up whatever rules you want pretty easily using a
combination of proxy roles, custom permissions and properties.

Kevin