[Zope-dev] Problems with CatalogAware?

Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:17:27 -0700

I have a python product that has a class derived from CatalogAware and
Folder.  I programmatically add instances of these (1000s of them) on an
automated basis every day in the early morning.

My problem is that whenever I do this, the Catalog is updated with some
problems:
1 - Metadata is skewed: DateTime objects are cataloged, and they end up with
the wrong date ('2001/01/01') instead of today's date, even though the
actual property contains today's date.  The index in question is built from
a property.
2 - Text indexes only get a portion of their text stored in the metadata,
not all of it.  The index in question is built from a class method in the
product code.

Using a bulk reindex solves this problem (subtransaction off, haven't tried
it any other way).  I'm using Zope 2.3.2 with ZEO 1.0b3 using a VHM.  The
automated process queries SQL for data, and uses those queries to create
object instances of the previously mentioned catalog-aware class, and I
create anywhere from 2000-7000 objects at a time.  I'm not sure if this is
due to the size of the transaction I am running.  I haven't tried this in a
smaller transaction yet; I was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Any thoughts?

Sean

Sean Upton
Senior Programmer/Analyst