[Zope-dev] Open Letter to zope-dev

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 16:23:44 +0100

> Of course there are hot spots. I have asked multiple times for help on the
> mailing
> lists and the Eurozope site to identify such related hot spots.
> Also I had expect some input of the community regarding at unicode support
> inside Zope. But there has been no feedback. It looks like no one needs
> unicode
> support in Zope ?! :-) Anyway, as a first step Zope 2.5 provides full
> unicode
> support for the ZCatalog. I would like to see some volunteers that could
> help
> to set up a list of requirements (the list is almost there on the Eurozope
> site
> I think) and possible solutions that could be integrated into the Zope
core.
> Referring to the "open letter to zope-dev" I could also charge the
community
> for zero feedback. But this is not the place and time for flamewars.
Instead
> we should bundle the power of ZC and the community. The opening of the CVS
> is a good starting point but I would like to see more people contributing.

I didn't want to blame anybody.

BTW: I have already mentioned the two areas "Help!" button and acl_user add
screen a couple of times. These seem to be the two that really are not
translateable via DTML. Another issue might be the system messages.

In general, if the error handling in general (including the authentication
errors that are not curently customizable without diving into the code) is
revamped in Zope 3.0 (which I hope), all error messages should be made
translateable one way or the other.

But of course translations also have their limits. Yesterday I was asked by
a collegue whether we should also translate the names of the permissions and
roles ... I said "Maybe not ..." ;-)

Regarding the unicode support, everything works flawlessly without as long
as one just needs German and English. That's why I don't have too much
expertise about unicode.

Joachim