[Zope-dev] Cool stuff!

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 21:42:35 -0500

I just looked through a few parts of the Zope3 CVS tree, and I must say
it's looking mighty nice so far at the 50,000 foot level...  I especially
like the Zope.Transaction package; it'll eliminate the need for my
ZLite.Transaction hack.  Indeed, much of the package-level refactoring
seems much more friendly to those of us who'd like to pick and choose the
parts we use.  The Zope.Publisher and Zope.App.ZopePublication packages
look cool too.

Very nice configuration system, with meta-configuration, even.  Very
awesome.  I can see how this will make it easier to create products that
influence other products, although I'm not sure how the import order works
out; haven't gotten that far just yet.  Nonetheless, this is all *really*
impressive stuff.

So far, the only thing that's been at all negative is that many of the
'IFooBarBaz' interfaces seem a little confusing as to what they do, in that
their names don't seem very obvious or self-documenting, at least to
me.  But I promise that once I *do* figure out what they do, I'll try to
suggest more evocative names.  :)  The interfaces in the tutorial could use
improvement similarly; again if I can think of anything better I'll try to
suggest naming conventions.

P.S.  Speaking of naming, I still dislike "feature" as a term for interface
implementations; various suggestions available on the "Feature" page of the
ComponentArchitecture Wiki.  :)

P.P.S.  You guys must've been *really* busy on this...  I'm really
impressed.  The new stuff so far seems like a breath of fresh air where
Zope internals are concerned.  Kudos!