[Zope-dev] Re: core i18n support

Lennart Regebro lennart@regebro.nu
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 11:06:22 +0100

From: "Dirk Datzert" <Dirk.Datzert@rasselstein-hoesch.de>
> For this update is a mechanims on XML-RPC design. There will be a
> ZBabelMasterTower on the internet where you can download any translation
> which is available on the net. Simple click on synchronize and thats it.

That is both more complicated and error prone to implement and more
complicated and error prone to do.
For every version of a translatable product that ever has been release you
woulld need to have a separate database of translations in a central
repository. Who is going to manage this central repository? What happens if
that location goes down? Whap happens if you want to something on a PC
before the IT department have opened a friewall so you are blocked from
accessing the central repository? If you find a bug in the translation, how
to you update the repository?

From: "Stephan Richter" <srichter@cbu.edu>
> Well, no. Because then the products would get too large. The better
> approach is to allow an online sync, again, which comes with the next
> ZBabel version.

If the translations mean the products get too big (which I honestly doubt, I
have never ever seen any example of a localization that is more than a
couple of percent of the whole application) it would be no problem at all to
have the translations downloadable separately if so desired by the
producers.

>Well, all the i18n developers will have a meeting early January in Europe
>with Jim Fulton in a 2-day brainstorming session.

Excellent! When and where?