[Zope-dev] 2gb ZODB size limit

Morten W. Petersen morten@esol.no
16 Feb 2001 00:23:53 +0100

[Erik Enge]

| [Morten W. Petersen]
|
| | It's a problem with Linux, if you want to be able to use databases >
| | 2GB in size on Linux, a kernel >= 2.4.0 is required.
|
| Nope.  First, the limit is at file-level, not database-level (mind
| you, a problem with the filesystem, not Linux per se).  You can have
| tons and tons of files, but noone of those can be over 2GB.

FileStorage type database was implicit, as we're discussing ZODB,
and that's one file per database.

| Secondly, this is only true for the ext2 (and «lesser» filesystems).
| ReiserFS does not have this limitation and I've heard that is supposed
| to be shipped «batteries included» come 2.4.1.

Sorry?  Didn't I say kernel version 2.4.0 or greater?  The 2GB problem
(in ext2) is fixed there you know.

..and a side note for ReiserFS, I've had it mess up a filesystem
completely, so much for 1 second recovery after a crash.  ;-)

BTW, there is a list called zope-zodb@zope.org, for ZODB specific
questions.

Cheers,

Morten