[Zope-dev] Zope Development Roadmap Components

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:03:51 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> While reading the Zope Development Roadmap about components I had a
> question.
>
> It says:
> """Components will be edited via the filesystem as .py files. Components
> will probably be checked into and out of Zope via a CVS like facility.
> Components can be tested locally without checking them into Zope."""
>
> What does this say about developing components with Py/Perl Scripts?
> It looks to be closer to the current Python Products.

Yes.  We have thought a bit about "composite components" and "persistent
modules" and stuff like that, but we only went so far into elaboration
when we realized that it required lots, and lots of thought and effort.

The current component effort is much simpler, a component is: an object
with an interface.  If this is a ZClass with Perl-based script methods,
then so be it, but we haven't thought far enough into what ZClasses really
are to start thinking about giving them interfaces.

Is this sort of what you're asking?

-Michel