[Zope-dev] CatalogAware

Michael Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:33:03 -0800

Chris Withers wrote:

> Michael Bernstein wrote:
> >
> > If you are writing your own cataloging and uncataloging
> > code, then I think that it could be.
>
> Grrrr....
>
> The cataloguing code in Squishdot amounts to about 4 lines, all of which
> are calls to standard ZCatalog interface methods as described in:
> http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/Projects/Interfaces/ZCatalog
>
> If you don't believe me, grep squishdot.py for catalog_object and
> uncatalog_object...

Ok, I believe you! Don't get mad just beacause I was asking
a question. I guess I didn't understand. In fact, if
catalog_object and uncatalog_object are interchangeable with
index_object and unindex_object, then I'm sure I don't
understand the point of inheriting from CatalogAware at all.
Is it reindex_object, which doesn't seem to have an
equivalent?

> > was asking why Posting objects shouldn't inherit from
> > CatalogAware?
>
> That wouldn't actually change the number of catalog-related lines of
> code in Squishdot. It was merely increase the compelxity of the product
> by adding CatalogAware as another base class for postings.

All right.

Scratching-my-head-over-this-whole-CatalogAware-thing-ly
yrs,

Michael Bernstein.