[Zope-dev] ZCatalog scalability

Erik Enge erik+list@esol.no
23 Jan 2001 18:03:17 +0100

[Michael Bernstein]

| Erik Enge wrote:
| >
| > I don't believe that B-Tree folders have those kinds of limitations by
| > general design.  I'm more conserned that somewhere along the lines,
| > doing operations on a huge BTree Folder (Yes, in Zope) will be slow.
|
| What sort of 'operations' do you mean? copying and pasting
| the whole thing?

My point was that anything will be slow at some stage.  This is valid
for BTree Folders as well, and doing opertions on the objects
(copying, deleting, modifying), will be slower than adding them, I
guess.  I'm not quite sure here Michael, someone else has probably
more experience and knowledge to answer more correctly.

| I had separated the storage issue into a different thread

Oops, I forgot that, sorry.

| Anyway Eric, I hope that when you report your results, you're able
| to separate indexing, searching, storage, and retreival results, so
| that the appropriate factor can be identified as the bottleneck. Or
| at least into indexing/searching and storage/retreival.

Yes, I hope I'll manage to do that.  And till then, I guess we just
have to wait to see how things work in practice, which might be
different to the theory.  ;)