[Zope-dev] Change Request in TextIndex implementation

Casey Duncan cduncan@kaivo.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:10:07 -0600

Chris Withers wrote:

> Casey Duncan wrote:
> >
> > In a world of implicit aquisition, this strikes me as very bad form. For
> > this to work, the vocabulary must reside in the parent of the parent of
> > the index, which must be a mapping object for it to find it. This is not
> > the case with my implementation, in fact the vocabulary can be basically
> > anywhere above the index.
>
> Yeah, I put a bug in the tracker kindof related to this. You'll find that if you
> add a vocabulary above the ZCatalogs in the acquisition path, you won't get to
> choose which splitter you use since that choice requires an attribute to be
> present that is defined in the __init__ method of ZCatalog. This also means that
> you get the same efefct if you try and add a new vocabulary to an old ZCatalog
> instance :-(

All of the internal class interdependence bothers me. These should be
written more generically then they have been and are...

> > Of course, I could simply pass in the lexicon when the Index is
> > instantiated. This is great and wonderful, except, I would like to
> > support Zope 2.3 in as seemless a way possible. Writing crap like this
> > bothers me (although I have little choice at this point methinks):
>
> The PluginIndex stuff does seem a bit scrappy in places :-S

The more I read of it, the more I concur. It is moving in the right
direction, but there are definitely holes...

[snip]

> Women have bad hair days, I have bad Zope days, this is one of them ;-)

Bad Zope! Bad Zope! Now go to your room!! 8^)

--