[Zope-dev] 60GB Data.fs?

Bjorn Stabell bjorn@exoweb.net
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:57:18 +0800

Hi there,

We're planning a Yahoo! Clubs like system that should scale to about 30,
000 users.  Assuming about 3,000 groups and 20MB per group (group
functionality includes photo albums), gives a database size of 60GB.
Assuming on average 3,000 users per day, 20 page views per users, gives
about 60,000 page views (not a lot, but if it's all dynamically
generated?).

We'd like to use Zope for this, if it is possible.  Other options are ok
too; anyone have any experience with other ready-made systems?

At this scale, how would ZODB hold up with respect to memory use and
speed?  I've heard rumors that it loads an index into memory on
start-up.

How would using Oracle as a Storage (ZODB semantics) help?

Going full-scale RDBMS means we'd have to reimplement a lot of existing
useful tools, so we'd rather not do that if using Zope.

I know we'll have to play with cacheing as well, and as I see there are
these options:

- SQL method cacheing

- Using StandardCacheManagers to cache Python and DTML methods

- Using StandardCacheManagers to cache pages (using, e.g., Squid as an
HTTP accelerator)

- ZEO client object cacheing

Any other ideas?

Bye,