[Zope-dev] mxDateTime-based Zope DateTime module

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Thu, 07 Jun 2001 06:16:20 -0500

Hello everyone,

after I got finally frustrated enough with the current implementation of
the Zope DateTime module, I decided to write a wrapper for mxDateTime. I
checked the license, and the eGenix Public License is GPL compatible, so
that we can use it for Zope now. For more details, see
http://www.lemburg.com/files/python/mxDateTime.html.

You can find the first version of the new DateTime module here:
http://www.zope.org/Members/srichter/Products/DateTimeNG

Currently, it has a problem with ZCatalog. If you create a catalog and then
restart Zope, you get a nasty setstate error:

2001-06-07T04:54:40 ERROR(200) ZODB Couldn't load state for
'\000\000\000\000\000\000 \015'
Traceback (innermost last):
   File /opt/devel/dev11480/lib/python/ZODB/Connection.py, line 533, in
setstate
SystemError: Failed to import class localtime from module __main__

(This is abbreviated debug output from the console.)

Since I would like to see this new module in the Zope core ASAP (best in
Zope 2.4), I wanted to ask you guys, whether you could have a look at this
problem, since I do not know much about the Catalog and the entire ZODB
pickle/unpickle process.

Furthermore, I would love to hear your comments and ideas. With mxDateTime
we can do much more now and have many more possibilities. The current
version of the new DateTime module handles most of the old API functions
correctly. Only some timezone issues are left open, but using the existing
time zone mappers this should be no problem.

Regards,
Stephan

--
Stephan Richter