[Zope-dev] ZPL and GPL licensing issues

Federico Di Gregorio fog@mixadlive.com
22 Jun 2001 16:58:51 +0200

On 22 Jun 2001 10:29:19 -0400, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> On Friday 22 June 2001 04:24, Erik Enge wrote:
> > I'd love to lobby DC to start thinking about this, how do I get in
> > touch with the management team?  It would be great if we could discuss
> > this on zope-licenses@zope.org (or similar) and have them read/comment
> > on that list.  To start off with, it would be great if we could see the
> > rationale for the ZPL, and how they think it applies to the current
> > situation.
>
> Explain why it's important to you and why you can't get by on the current
> situation.  You can send them directly or I can forward emails to the
> management.

a lot of people use Zope. a lot of people release under the GPL, mainly
because they don't want others (companies?) to "use" their code wothout
giving back something (their code) or release modified code without
giving back the modifications. a lot of people belongs _both_ groups and
experience a lot of difficulties releasing code for zope.

i think that releasing zope under a gpl-compatible license or under a
double license (zpl+gpl, the distributor can choose) will do a lot of
good to the people using the gpl and *no harm* to dc, because being dc
holder of the copyright can always distribute under alternate licenses,
usefull to its business plans, etc.

also, the gpl-compatible license seems better to me than double license,
because everybody (not only the users on one of the two licenses) will
be able to include and distribute *any* code written for zope.

ciao,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio