[Zope-dev] Re: Problems with Transparent Folder and Zope 2.3.3

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:49:07 -0400

On Friday 22 June 2001 10:59, Chris Withers wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > If we're willing to start changing things at the C level, however,
> > there are more options.
>
> Well, given how extremely useful skins seem as a concept (rather than
> just in their CMF context), along with Transparent Folders I'd love to
> help out here or vote for this in any way I can. It's been a while (2
> years :-S) since I last did any C stuff and I've never done any with
> python so it could be a fun learning experience... ;-)

Well, if the getattr function in TransparentFolderPatch were in C, I
think it would be fast enough.

> BTW, would the stuff being talked about here allow CMF skins to come
> from locations other than the portal_skins tool? I know I've managed to
> solve my sharing-skin-layers-between-portal-instances problem but I
> aslo know that sooner or later, I'm going to hear "but I don't want to
> edit that skin on the file system" (especially if the server is in
> production mode) or, similarly, "I need to edit that skin TTW from
> another continent"

Again, it doesn't allow layers from outside the portal_skins tool because
of security considerations, not performance considerations.

You could use LocalFS.  Or you could use transparent folders in place of
skins.

Shane