[Zope-dev] ZClass not in a Product

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 16:42:35 +0200 (CEST)

Joachim Werner writes:
 > > I do not agree with you:
 > >
 > >   a ZClass is both an instance (you can manage, modify, delete)
 > >   and a class (you can use as blueprint for object creation).
 >
 > O.k., I CAN manage/modify/delete a ZClass, but it still is (conceptually) a
 > class, and only a class. You can manage/modify/delete Zope Python classes, too:
 > Add new icons, DTML or "real" methods etc. It just is done from the file
 > system. Still nobody would call those "instances" ...
 >
 > Or did I miss something here?
Maybe you search "python.org" for Guido's metaclasses article.
It tells that a Python class can be both a class and an instance
and that this view has interesting applications.

You focus on the class aspects of a ZClass (a pattern for creating
instances providing them with basic common infrastructure),
while I stress the instance aspects.

The fact, that you can manage ZClasses in the same way as other
Zope objects, calls for similar structuring possibilities:
taking them out of the centralized control panel and putting them
anywhere in the site. That was the starting point of our discussion...

Dieter