[Zope-dev] ZPL and GPL

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:51:57 +0200

Jerome Alet wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Erik Enge wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Jerome Alet wrote:
> >
> > > Java comes to mind, guess who is the "powerful entity" ;-)
> >
> > I really can't see that Java has been bastardized by it, though.
>
> I was told that some java programs only run under windows, that's what I
> called bastardization.
>
> However I don't know for sure, because I don't use Java: I use a beautiful
> language instead, and it's called: Python ;-)

There sure are python programs that run only under windows too ;)

Not that I'd recommend writing them in such a way but it happens,
especially if they are developed/debugged under windows only and/or use
windows-specific extensions.

Banning such extensions also seems stupid, as one of main strengths of
python is its extensibility.

And the fact that you can't use some stackless python features
reasonably
under plain c-python does not bother me at all.

It would not bother me even if people at Transmeta would make
proprietary
Crusoe JIT to interpret python bytecodes directly ;)

I would say that it would make me very glad instead, even if it causes
some
python programs make "wrong" assumptions and thus run prohibitively slow
even on 1.4 GHz Athlons .

Hannu