[Zope-dev] ZPL and GPL

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:06:16 -0400

With great trepidation, I add a post to this thread.  As Barry has
mentioned, this has all been discussed a LOT.  I'll try to summarize and
clarify a few points:

1) I wanted to specifically address something in Michael's post here.
We fully expect people to profit from Zope, even if that means for-fee,
intact redistributions.  They simply have to provide credit.  Others may
have a different philosophy, but that's ours.  This is similar in some
regards to Perl's and Apache, I believe.

2) We specifically expect to produce a packaged version of Zope.  It's
clear that it's the only way to appeal to the mainstream market.  We
hope others do the same.

3) Regarding other posts, our license is nearly identical to Apache's
license, close enough legally to say it is the same.  Therefore, to say
Zope isn't free enough is to say Apache isn't free enough.  Anybody that
says that loses a fair amount of credibility, at least with me.  Apache
is an example of a crossover success (open and commercial) that I think
provides a fantastic role model.

4) Any changes in the license are likely to be more in the direction of
an Apache-style license.

No approach pleases everyone, unfortunately.  We do the best we can.

--Paul