oodb philosophics ;) was: Re: [Zope-dev] Experiments with ORMapping

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Sun, 13 May 2001 21:34:25 +0200

> Probably I'm daft because it is Friday night, but AFAIK ZODB and most
OODB's
> store an object only once, keyed by its object id. The rest is just
references
> through that oid, so objects that belong to more than one container can be
> added to all these containers and n:m relations are implemented by having
> list of objects on both sides.

Yes, but these references (let's call them "symlinks" ...) are not in the
standard Zope. Of course it should be easy to do these things, but except
for this from Shane I haven't seen anything so far:
http://www.zope.org/Members/hathawsh/Symlink/index_html

P.S.: Shane, have you developed Symlinks any further? I think they could be
extremely useful. I tried out the initial release and liked it, except for
the fact that the symlinks looked EXACTLY like real ones, so they can be
very irritating ...

Joachim