[Zope-dev] ZCatalog, REQUEST, misc.

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Tue, 15 May 2001 11:48:23 -0400

> > I'd either make my own CatalogAware-alike mixin class that did things
> > a bit differently than CatalogAware (perhaps didn't index on add, and
> > didn't unindex on delete), or I'd just manage the whole lot completely
> > manually. (How often will each of these million objects change?)
>
> Not often.  But new objects will be added to them quite
> frequently.  Catalog aware ones.

Why CatalogAware?  You do know that the only thing CatalogAware does is
add/remove/reindex objects in one particular Catalog when they're added,
removed, or changed?  You can likely afford to do that yourself if you've
got the serious business of having a million similar objects to deal with.
It's a trivial amount of code, and you'll likely discover that you didn't
really want CatalogAware in the first place if they're not going to be
changed on a regular basis.  CatalogAware is something that is useful if you
have a relatively small number of frequently-changing objects that often
need their data reindexed on change.  It certainly doesn't sound like you
need this.

> > CatalogAware is fairly ancient code at this point, and I don't think
> > it was written with the mindset that there would be a million objects
> > in any particular catalog.
>
> Hm...  I'll give it some thought.  If it works the way it is now, I'm
> sufficiently happy.  If not: late nights making ErikAwareness ;).

One late 1/2 hour more likely... ;-)