[Zope-dev] Does creating REAL over-the-web Python code become realistic with Zope 2.4?

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 00:54:05 +0200

Hi!

When I read about the reload functionality of Zope 2.4, an old vision came
back to my mind:

If we can reload Python code at runtime, and we can also edit, generate and
store files (containing code)  via the web (as LocalFS or extFile prove),
then it should be perfectly possible to have something like ZClasses (it
terms of the over-the-web front-end) that spits out and dynamically loads
REAL Python classes instead of the rather experimental simulation of classes
we get with ZClasses, right?

I'll skip the part about why we should not be able to manipulate Zope code
over the web, which can be discussed separately ...

What do you think about this idea? If it finds some friends, I'll set up a
formal proposal for something like "ZClass-like features to build REAL Zope
Python classes over the web".

Joachim