[Zope-dev] ANNOUNCE: Zope 2.4.0 alpha 1 released

Albert Langer Albert.Langer@Directory-Designs.org
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 07:33:43 +1000

[Brian]
  Zope 2.4.0 alpha 1 has been released - you can download it from
  Zope.org:

    http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.4.0a1/

[...]

  Note that this is an alpha release, so it is available as a source
  distribution only. We will make binary releases available with the
  first beta release.

[Albert]
Congratulations!!!

Two questions:

1. Any guesstimate (vague upper and lower bounds) on first beta release
for the binaries, (or even just a vague lower bound - "probably not
before ...")?

2. In the Migration Guide:

"A note to component developers - as of Zope 2.4 ExtensionClass has not been
updated to support all of the new "magic protocols" that Python classes
support (we're hoping that EC will go away soon)."

What does "hoping that EC will go away soon" mean? I thought that
ExtensionClass was pretty
fundamental to Zope?? Does this just mean that the limitation on "magic
protocols" will go away soon, or is there some URL I should look at re
replacement for EC?

Thanks, and congratulations again.