[Zope-dev] Opinions wanted: clean distribution

Matt Behrens matt@zigg.com
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 07:03:49 -0500

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 10:14:48AM +0000, Toby Dickenson wrote:

> You have Products under the same grouping as the main zope source.
> This makes it difficult for different instances to run different
> products, or different versions of the same product.

You know, I realized that in the shower this morning.  Funny what
ideas come to you there, eh? :-)

Actually what we really need is per-instance Products directories.
That way both global and per-instance products can be installed.
VARDIR/zope/INSTANCE/Products is probably the most sane place.

> ETCDIR/Products: contains symlinks into ZopeProducts
>                  for each product that this instance should use

Actually, you don't have to do this, even now! :-)  Check out
http://www.zope.org/Members/4am/instancehome.  I use this setup
currently with my OpenBSD Zope port.

> I think Extensions need to be in the ETCDIR too

VARDIR/zope/INSTANCE/Extensions, I'm thinking.  The other thing to
go into INSTANCE that is not currently addressed by instancehome
is probably python code that isn't a Product or an Extension, for
example ZTUtils and TAL from ZPT.