[Zope-dev] Opinions wanted: clean installation (was distribution)

Matt Behrens matt.behrens@kohler.com
Wed, 07 Nov 2001 09:41:49 -0500

Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:

> If I need to uppgrade the python or apache for one app I can safely do so
> w/o worrying what impact it might have on other apps or having to backtrack
> possible dependencies.
>
> If I need to move my entire app to antoher machine, I can safely do so
> knowing that everything I need will be present in my tarball (or zip-arch).
>
> It is not about importance of package, it is about insulation,
> selfcontainment and ease of deployment efter development. Disk is cheap -
> time isn't.

Sure, and that solution works for you, so feel free to keep using it.  I
don't intend this proposal (which it looks like I'll be making by the
end of the week) to make you stop using Zope like that.

However, we do have a problem in that there is no 'standard'
installation that can reasonably be made to have Zope act like any other
piece of software, and as a result OS packagers are all doing it
different ways and duplicating some effort.  The idea is to add hooks to
Zope to make it much more flexible about your installation as well as
provide a much more sane default installation that can be easily tracked
by existing package tools.

The more flexible we can make this default installation, the better.
Hence the pre-proposal discussion :-)

--
Matt Behrens <matt.behrens@kohler.com>
System Analyst, Baker Furniture