[Zope-dev] bug reporting idea

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 17:49:00 +0000

What do people think about a semi-automatic bug reporting system, like
the gnome bug buddy?

What I have in mind is at least a link in the tracebacks which are
printed in debug mode to the Collector, with some brief instructions
(like 'are you sure this is a Zope bug?).  Fancier things could happen
in the future, like the last lines of the traceback getting posted in
for you.

Pros:

 Making it easier to report bugs means we'll track bugs better

Cons:

 We'd probably get many more bugs reported, including false positives,
 so we'd have to work out a better bug-fixing process

 The location of the Collector may change - is there a good place to
 put a 'constant' so it's easy for packaging people to remember to
 keep it up to date.

Personally, I think it would be a Good Thing.

seb