[Zope-dev] Integrating mailman with Zope?

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 02:54:48 +0100

Hi!

> Has anyone out there tried this already?  Last we heard, Mailman was
> a standalone CGI program, and in order to make it work with Zope you
> had to run both Mailman and Zope behind another web server (such as
> Apache).

Yes, but if you control the Mailman from Zope, you will of course not need
the cgi component, which only provides management interfaces and the mailing
list archives, not the actual mail sending functionality.

> What we're planning to do is write a CGI product for Zope 2.3.3 so that we
> can run CGI programs with ZServer under Zope, eliminating the need to set
> up and configure Apache or any other web server.
>
> If you've already written a CGI Zope product (i.e., a product that lets
> you run CGI programs from any Zope folder), please let me know! Otherwise,
> I'll continue the experiments. ;-)

There already seems to be a product that can do this. But as I stated above,
I'd take the Mailman code as a library and rewrite the management screens in
Zope. For adding a new list, you still need to change stuff in the mail
configuration of your machine (i.e. create an alias for the list). This
COULD be scripted from Zope, but might be a security issue.

Joachim