[Zope-dev] A modest proposal: Replace medusa with Twisted

Itamar Shtull-Trauring lists@itamarst.org
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:05:06 +0200

Andreas Jung wrote:

 > The Medusa architecture is also more or less generic and extendable.

1) I've talked to at least one person who had trouble integrating an
external protocol into Zope, and ended up running it as a seperate process
and communicating over XML-RPC.

2) Plugging in a different transports instead of TCP (e.g. SSL) is much
easier in Twisted than medusa, as far as I can tell. In m2crypto's medusa
ssl code very protocol needs its own subclass in order supports SSL. In
Twisted that is done transparently - the protocol doesn't have to worry
about the transport. Basically any protocol (excepting perhaps FTP) could
run out of the box with SSL in Twisted, using the one SSL support module. Or
Unix domain sockets for that matter :)

3) Twisted provides a larger number of protocols out of the box (e.g. pure
python LDAP client, AOL TOC, IRC, POP3, SMTP, telnet) than medusa. Hopefully
   we will soon have an integrated DNS server as well, though I can't think
how *that* would help Zope.

Twisted does not use asyncore, if that's what you mean when you say it will
have the same problems as medusa.