[Zope-dev] ZPL2.0

Michael R. Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
16 Oct 2001 12:43:19 -0700

Sorry for the late replay to the list, I was having some problems with
my mail client which led to replies being rejected by various mailing
lists.

On Fri, 2001-10-12 at 02:38, Chris Withers wrote:
> Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
> >
> > dealing with RMS is tricky period.
>
> I am at a loss as to why anyone bothers ;-)
>
> (nope, this is not an attempt to start a flame war, everybody move
along
> peacefully now...)

No heat in this response :-)

It's pretty simple:

If GPL compatibility in a license is seen as a desirable goal (and it
is, even by some who disagree with the GPL itself), and the FSF in the
person of RMS is the final arbiter of GPL compatibility, then to get
'official' GPL compatibility declared for your license, you have to deal
with RMS.

If your question was actually "why does anyone bother with GPL license
compatibility" then that is a separate discussion.

Cheers,

Michael.