[Zope-dev] RAMCacheManager and gzip

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 19:49:18 +0100

JanStiller T-Online wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to marry the RAMCacheManager and gzip?
>
> I'm just working on a little shop and - for speed's sake - do 'ram-cache'
> the article-listings and push all the Zope-Content through mod_gzip. With
> this combination, I'm getting it 3x faster in Zope and 5x faster over the
> wire (normally 64k). That's great so far. But I don't see any sense in
> zipping cached content over and over, so I tried to zip the cached data in
> RAMCacheManager.
> [...]

IMNSHO, mod_gzip does (can do) caching on its own (directives
"mod_gzip_keep_workfiles" and "mod_gzip_temp_dir"), and perhaps
it might work with mod_proxy in some intelligent way. Maybe
you might want to check this first before doing too much work.
Also be warned, there are certain kinds of documents which will
make problems when served compressed, like PDFs. While
you won't want to RAM-cached PDFs, it might occur that RAM-caching
and compressing do conflict.

cheers,
oliver